For the modern-day consumers, we now have the opportunity to stop using plastics while vacationing. The plastic problem is a growing one and countless landfills worldwide, plus the ever-expanding Great Pacific Garbage Patch, are proof of the ill effects of this mess.
Laura Parker, a National Geographic staff specializing in discussions around climate change & marine environments, said 8M of plastic wastes end up in oceans. She wrote in her plastic-pollution article, “Single-use plastics account for 40% of the plastic produced every year.” EcoWatch.com also reveals we discard about 185 pounds of plastic each year. From the accommodation industry standpoint, that’s 50,000 tiny bottles + over 20,000 half-used soap being dumped in landfills each year. That’s just from ONE 100-room hotel. Junk bottles don’t break down quickly; in fact, they take many years to break down.
As the world awakens to the plastic problem, the lodging industry is beginning to reconsider those plastic shampoo & conditioner bottles. Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a law in October 2019 that bans California hotels from giving tiny plastic bottles (of shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion) to their guests. For hotels with 50+ rooms, this law takes effect in January 1, 2023, while for properties with less than 50 rooms it’s January 1, 2024. Violations will have a corresponding fine of $500 (first offense) and $2,000 (subsequent offenses).
California’s plastic ban is the state’s answer to the worldwide clamor against single-use plastics across a wide range of consumer-facing industries –from plastic straws & forks in food chains to plastic shopping bags in small-to-large retail stores. In February 2020, “New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio signed an executive order…banning the sale of single-use plastic beverage bottles on city-owned and -leased properties — which means the bottles could vanish from an area nearly equivalent to a quarter of the city. The move also bars city agencies from purchasing or selling beverages packaged in single-use plastic containers.”
With the plastic-free future in our horizon, GreenSuites Hotel Solutions is more inspired to continue promoting sustainable hospitality practices. We give hoteliers a green advantage and a cost-efficient choice with our well-received ECOCENTS Dispenser Program.
In our three decades of service, feedback from General Managers affirms that using refillable dispensers is highly advantageous as it lowers cost and is friendlier to Nature. With the plastic bottle ban, the dispenser system in lodgings truly is a sensible step. From the global-waste-crisis standpoint, the switch to top-quality dispensers will result in a 90%-range waste reduction.
So, here are some advantages in making the switch:
- Long lasting, which means less frequent replacements
- More efficient than small bottles as cartridges are set up to dispense .8mL of liquid per press –helping reduce waste
- Refill cartridges are used numerous times before discarded for recycling
- Installation is easy & low cost
- Modern designs make dispensers easy to clean for housekeeping
- Better than pump bottles: with seal & locks, they can’t be tampered with/stolen
Major long-term benefits from using Greensuite’s bulk amenity dispensers include:
- kinder to the Planet: with our service, 500 million bottles are NOT in the ocean
- plastic-ban compliant: Greensuites has been an enthusiastic participant in environmental protection for 3 decades –we’ve broken the plastic habit before law mandated it
- adds value to guest experience: guests feel great as they’re indirectly participating in the green shift
- good for the bottom line: our ECOCENTS Dispenser Program has helped hoteliers save annually from 25%-75% on amenity expenses, waste costs, and housekeeping.
As one of the forerunners in this eco-shift, Green Suites is a name you can trust for affordable, sturdy, and guest-friendly hotel dispensers with modern, elegant designs. We’ve been supplying top-of-the-line dispensers that make guests feel their bathroom amenities were hand-picked and well-thought out. Our customized solutions truly add value to guest experience, and the fact that they’re eco-friendly adds to the appeal. Twenty-seven years of award-winning service backs up our brand!
Beyond helping your costs and inventory, with Green Suites ECOCENTS it’s easier to break the plastic habit!